Bismillahhe Rahmanee Raheem
SubhanAllaah I often hear that “Our religion is boring, we can’t do anything!” Alhamdullilah it is not from my kids, but from other kids. I then reflect why do these kids think this way? SubhanAllaah we have the best religion in the world, and the best holidays as well as the best way to have fun.
The problem is that many people have no clue how to have real fun versus what people call fun. The media, TV, magazines and even books display having fun means one must dance, listen to music, be with the opposite gender, wearing inappropriate clothing, behaving in an inappropriate way, drinking alcohol, smoking or even doing drugs. The list can continue my dearest sisters and brothers, but any righteous person knows that this is a deception from Shaytaan and it is not real fun.
Now, that we know the problem let’s try to solve it inshAllaah. So what is real fun? How can we as Muslims have real fun? InshAllaah I have a list of ways you and your family can have fun and make memories.
1. Play board games: Junior Qu’raan Challenge, Qur’aan Challenge, or Hadith Challenge.
2. If it snows in your area, go outside and play in the snow and make a snow forte.
3. In the evenings tell stories, while sipping on hot chocolate with whip cream.
4. Have Family night where the entire family sleeps in one room on the floor and talks about what is going on in their lives. Everyone listens and respects each other.
5. Have a dinner party and invite friends over.
6. Go to the Mosque and listen to a good lecture.
7. Remodel a room and get everyone to help.
8. Go to a Museum or an Aquarium.
9. Watch a video on IslamicTube.com as a family. My kids love to share their favorite videos.
10. Visit family or friends. Especially those who are sick.
InshAllaah you can see the list can go on, but you get the point. The most important thing is that you are with your family and you all enjoy being together no matter what you are doing inshAllaah.